Eating foods that reduce inflammation naturally in the body can help you fight a lot of health issues.
In fact there is a connection between inflammation and many of the diseases affecting a lot of people today. Such diseases include cardiovascular disease, arthritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), asthma etc.
You know that the food you eat is important. It’s what fuels your body. It’s what keeps you going and keeps you healthy.
Did you known, however, that certain foods can affect inflammation in the body? There are certain things you can eat that will help to naturally reduce inflammation.
There are also foods you can eat that will make inflammation worse. Understanding how this affects your body and what foods to eat and what foods to avoid is very important if you suffer from inflammation.
Your immune system serves a very important function in your body. Its job is to protect you so it will attack anything in your body that it sees as foreign.
This process of your immune system protecting your body is called “inflammation”. It happens when your body is invaded by microbes, chemicals, or bacteria. Inflammation also keeps in to help when you have an injury.
Your immune system works hard to protect your body from these invaders to help heal and make you healthy.
However too much inflammation in the body does more harm than good as it could lead to so many health problems like the ones mentioned above.
For example, the foods you eat and how active you are can affect the levels of inflammation you have.
And if you’re already experiencing inflammation, poor general health and poor diet can make it worse.
So eating the right foods can help with this.
Let’s take a look at what some of those foods are.
1. Olive Oil – Olive oil is among the top healthy cooking oils. It contains omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fats that are believed to have anti-inflammatory effects. Unrefined extra virgin olive oil specifically is rich in phenolic compounds that help to fight inflammation and joint cartilage damage.
2. Blueberries – Rich in quercetin, blueberries are among the foods that reduce inflammation naturally in the body.
3. Green Tea – The high content of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and polyphenol in green tea provides great anti-inflammatory effects that benefits your heart and general health.
4. Leafy Greens – Leafy green vegetables such as spinach and collard greens are rich in flavonoids, which are powerful anti-oxidants that help to fight inflammation.
5. Tomatoes – Tomatoes contain lycopene, a potent anti-oxidant that helps to protect the brain from inflammation.
6. Nuts – Nuts such as walnuts contain omega-3 fats as well as vital phyto-nutrients that have anti-inflammatory effects.
7. Fatty Fish (like salmon, tuna, etc.) – Rich in inflammation fighting omega-3 fats.
8. Beets – The anti-inflammatory agent in beets is called betalain, which gives beets the deep red color. This unique antioxidant fights inflammation and helps to repair cells damaged by inflammation.
9. Chia seeds – Chia contains omega 3, which is good for the heart and helps to help inflammation. Chia seeds also rich in fiber, which may also be helpful in lowering cholesterol and controlling blood sugar levels.
10. Pineapple – Contains bromalain, a vital enzyme that has anti-inflammatory properties. Bromalain helps to prevent blood platelets from sticking together or blocking blood vessels, thereby helping to prevent heart attack. It is also helpful to the digestive system
These foods are great to help reduce inflammation naturally in the body. If you’re struggling with inflammation and illness, a diet rich in these foods could be very helpful.
In general, fresh foods are going to be better for you than processed foods, frozen foods, or something that comes in a box.
While inflammation comes and goes with foreign invaders, there are times when inflammation becomes a constant.
This happens with certain diseases and conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, depression, and arthritis.
If you have already been diagnosed with these conditions, then it’s important to watch your diet.
Avoid inflammatory foods and go for anti-inflammatory foods that could help you reduce some of the symptoms of your condition.
Fried foods are one of the worst things you can eat if you’re struggling with inflammation.
In addition, sugary drinks like sodas are going to make your inflammation worse. Refined carbs like white breads, white rice and pastries are bad.
These unhealthy foods also contribute to weight gain, which is another contributing factor to certain conditions and diseases like the ones mentioned above.
This isn’t a complete list but it does cover foods that commonly trigger inflammation in people.
If you’re already struggling with inflammation, you may want to avoid these foods altogether to prevent worsening of your symptoms.
So it is not enough to eat the “good” foods that reduce inflammation naturally, you should also avoid the “bad” foods that cause inflammation.