It only takes a few minutes of research to find out that there are literally hundreds of anti-wrinkle and anti-aging creams available, covering all price points from the extremely cheap (under $10) to the very expensive (several hundred dollars).
What makes one particular cream worth considerably more than another is a matter of debate – and clever marketing in most cases. The key is to be able to sort through the pile and base your decision upon facts, proof, thorough research and if it is a factor for you: price as well.
The truth is that all anti-aging creams are not created equal. Most anti-wrinkle creams simply act on the very top surface layer of the skin. In fact, many creams do not do a lot more than just cover the lines and wrinkles up in a similar way that make up does. Sadly, this does not result in any changes to the skin itself but rather just provides a cosmetic cover-up of the signs of aging.
The creators of anti wrinkle creams are skilled at making great claims and promises. Some promise an instantly noticeable reduction in your appearance by decades, while others state overnight miracles in getting rid of those unsightly crows feet around the eyes, forehead creases and smile lines. While some creams certainly do work, it’s always wise to research with an open mind and always investigate any claims and statements thoroughly.
How Exactly Do Anti-Aging And Anti-Wrinkle Creams Work?
The truth is that they all work differently. And truth be told, many of them do not work at all. A number of creams promoted and marketed as being anti-wrinkle and anti-aging are often simply moisturizers. Whilst moisturizing is certainly an important part of keeping the skin supple, hydrated and thus, contributes to retaining a youthful look, true anti-wrinkle creams take it beyond just the very basics of skin moisturization.
The problems that cause wrinkles include that as we age, our body simply reduces the collagen that is being produced. This is the protein that provides skin firmness and once it is reduced, those tell tale aging signs start to show. There are aspects of people’s lifestyles which can certainly bring about premature loss of collagen and thus, early aging. This includes too much exposure to the sun without protection, as well as smoking. Unfortunately for many people, it is a matter of being too late to do this, but thankfully it is never too late to try and reverse the damage.
Natural anti-wrinkle creams that are based on sound, proven ingredients that are known to be excellent for the skin are well worth a look. Extracts such as green tea, vitamin E and others that are rich in antioxidants are sure to provide some benefit to the skin – whether this eliminates all the wrinkles depends solely on each individual product and how all the ingredients work together.
What Else To Look For In Anti-Wrinkle Creams
When trying to find the best anti-wrinkle cream, you would be wise to create a checklist. This could include some or all of the following points, depending upon how important they are to you.
1. Is the cream natural or organic, or both? This is important to consider, because people are becoming more and more conscious about what they are putting on their skin. The chemical-laced creams and moisturizers that are marketed so heavily by the big cosmetics brands, are no longer appealing to people who simply wish to go back to basics and use products that are all natural.
2. Is it scientifically proven? It’s easy for a company to state that their product is scientifically proven, but how can you know for sure? Anti-wrinkle cream makers who are proud of their product and have nothing to hide will clearly reveal what sort of studies and trials have been undertaken with their cream, or with the active ingredients in their product.
3. What are the ingredients? Once you know that it’s a natural product, you might also like to extend your knowledge further by finding out the exact ingredients in the cream. What is the active ingredient, and why is it so effective against wrinkles?
4. How does it differ from other creams? This is an important point to consider. So many creams are simply just like the next one. Those that stand out are doing something different; either in their ingredients or in the technology and research behind the product.
5. Who is using it? You should be able to access information from the company that includes real user comments and experiences, as well as information about the ages of people who are seeing success with the cream.
There are very few anti-wrinkle creams out there which can tick all of the above boxes, while still being authentic, unique and most importantly, effective against fighting the signs of aging.